Full of flavor and a simple, one-pot meal. The cream balances nicely with the combination of cajun spices and smoked paprika.
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp butter
1 lb andouille sausage, sliced in 1/2″ rounds
1 chicken breast, skinless/boneless, chopped to bite size
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 cup celery, diced
4 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
1-1/2 Tbsp Cajun seasoning
1 Tbsp smoked paprika
8 medium mushrooms, sliced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
4 cups chicken broth
12-16 oz penne pasta
1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Gather all of the ingredients, and get all of your veggies and the sausage chopped before starting, and that will make for a smoother cooking experience!
- Turn on the pot to the Sauté function. When the display reads Hot (about 3-4 min), add the oil and butter.
- Add the sausage and chicken breast, if using, and cook for 3 or 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the onion and celery. Cook until onion starts to turn translucent.
- Add the garlic, Cajun seasonings, smoked paprika, and mushrooms. Cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add the red bell pepper and chicken broth. Stir. Let come to a simmer (the glass lid helps it come to a simmer faster).
- Add the pasta and make sure it is submerged. Then place the lid on the pot and lock into place. Set the steam release knob to the Sealing position.
- Cancel the Sauté function. Press the Pressure Cook/Manual button and use the + or – button to choose 5 minutes.
- When the cooking cycle has ended, turn off the pot (or press Cancel) and do a Quick Release of the pressure/steam. Start slowly to be sure only steam comes out, and then fully release it.
- When the pin in the lid drops back down, open the lid and stir the pasta.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese, and let it melt.
- Stir in the heavy cream and parsley.
- Let sit uncovered for a couple of minutes to thicken up. This is a saucy dish, so it won’t be thick like mac and cheese, but it will thicken some as it cools.
Leave a Reply