Like most flourless chocolate cakes, this one is intensely rich. If you’re a person who can never get enough chocolate, try this dessert.
20 chocolate wafers, finely crushed (about 1 cup)
3 Tbsp butter, melted
12 squares (1 oz each) semi-sweet chocolate for baking
3/4 cup butter
6 eggs, separated
12 Tbsp granulated sugar, divided
2 tsp vanilla
6 squares (1 oz each) semi-sweet chocolate for baking
2 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp milk
2 Tbsp light corn syrup
4 squares (1 oz each) semi-sweet chocolate for baking
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Lightly spray Springform Pan with nonstick cooking spray. For crust, finely crush chocolate wafers in resealable plastic bag with Baker’s Roller. Microwave butter in Small Micro-Cooker on high for 30 seconds or until melted. Stir in crumbs; mix well. Press crumb mixture onto bottom of pan.
- For cake, melt chocolate and butter in Small (2-qt) Saucepan over very low heat stirring occasionally with Nylon Spiral Whisk until smooth. Remove from heat. Cool slightly, stirring occasionally.
- Using Egg Separator, separate egg whites into Small Batter Bowl; set aside. Place egg yolks in Classic Batter Bowl. On high speed of electric mixer, beat egg yolks and 6 tablespoons of the sugar until mixture is very thick and pale, about 3 minutes. Add cooled chocolate mixture; beat on low speed. Blend in vanilla.
- Using clean, dry beaters, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 6 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Using Mix ‘N Scraper, fold egg whites into chocolate mixture until well blended. Pour batter into pan.
- Bake 45-50 minutes* or until top is puffed and cracked. (Cake Tester inserted in center comes out with some moist crumbs attached.) Cool completely on Nonstick Cooling Rack. Run knife around sides of pan to loosen cake. Release collar from pan.
- Place sheet of Parchment Paper under cooling rack. For glaze, melt chocolate and butter in clean saucepan over very low heat, stirring occasionally until smooth. Remove pan from heat; stir in milk and corn syrup. Spread glaze smoothly over top and sides of cake using Skinny Scraper. Refrigerate until glaze is almost set, about 30 minutes, before garnishing.
- Meanwhile, for garnish, line Chillzanne Platter with parchment paper. Place chocolate in Small Micro-Cooker. Microwave on high, uncovered, 1 to 1-1/2 minutes or until melted, stirring every 30 seconds. Pour onto parchment and spread to a 10-inch circle (or larger if using 4 oz of chocolate). Place in freezer 5 minutes to firm. Break chocolate into large pieces; sprinkle top of cake and chocolate pieces with powdered sugar, if desired. Arrange chocolate pieces randomly over top of cake. Refrigerate up to 1 hour before serving. Cut into slices.