A soup that’s amazingly complex for the simplicity of the ingredients … tasty even for the non-asparagus eaters!
2 lb asparagus
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 cup diced yellow onions (about 2 medium)
4 cloves garlic
6 cup chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground thyme
1 tsp salt + more to taste
1 tsp black pepper + more to taste
4 bacon slices
3 Tbsp lemon juice
4 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
- Cut off the tips of the asparagus spears and chop the stalk into 1/2″ pieces. Keep the tips to use in another recipe or to dress up the bowl when serving.
- Add the butter to a large stock pot over medium heat.
- Remove the peel from the garlic cloves and smash with a heavy knife. Add the smashed garlic to the pot along with the chopped onions. Cook for about 7-8 minutes, until onions are soft.
- Add the chopped asparagus, chicken broth, chili powder, ground thyme, bacon slices, salt and black pepper to the pot and bring to a rapid boil. Cover the pot, turn the heat down to low and simmer for about 30 minutes until all the vegetables are soft and tender.
- Use an immersion blender or blender to puree until completely smooth.
- OPTIONAL- pass the pureed soup through a fine sieve to remove the fibers if you prefer.
- Transfer the soup back to the stockpot and bring back to a simmer.
- Add the lemon juice and grated Parmesan cheese and stir to combine.
- Taste the soup and add additional salt, pepper, cheese or lemon juice if desired!
- Divide the soup into 4 bowls and top with the asparagus tips or grated Parmesan cheese if desired.