During our visit to Santa Fe, we thoroughly enjoyed the chowder at Del Charro. When we got home, we searched online to find a similar recipe, and to our surprise, we found out the restaurants has their recipe listed online!
1 oz vegetable oil
1 white onion, medium chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
5 chicken breast, skinless, grilled and diced
1.5 lb of chopped roasted green chile, mild
2 quarts half and half
1 lb potatoes, peeled and diced
1 lb corn kernels
6 oz red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
2 oz chicken base
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
3 oz corn starch
- Heat oil in 12 quarts stock pot, sauté onions until golden add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add half and half, potatoes, chicken base, white pepper-cook for 10 to 15 minutes over medium heat.
- Add chicken breast, green chile, corn kernels and red bell pepper, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- In a small bowl make a slurry with the corn starch and ½ cup water.
- Bring to a boil and whisk the slurry into the pot until the soup is slightly thick.
- Adjust seasoning with salt.
It will stick if heat is to high, so stir frequently. Roasted New Mexican anaheim green chile is a good choice.