Spice up your pasta sauce with Jimmy Dean® Pork Sausage for smiles all around the dinner table.
Prep time: 5 min | Cook time: 2 hr 15 min | Servings: 8
1 package pork sausage
1 tsp dried oregano
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 cups chopped onions
3/4 cup chopped carrots
2 tsp minced garlic
1 cup dry red wine
28-oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
1/4 cup tomato paste (try full can next time)
+(Consider adding red pepper flakes next time)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 cup whipping cream (try 1/2–3/4 cup next time)
2 tsp sugar
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
6 cups hot cooked pasta
Additional chopped fresh basil leaves for garnish (optional)
- Cook sausage and oregano in large saucepan over MEDIUM-HIGH heat 8-10 minutes or until sausage is thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently; drain. Spoon sausage mixture into bowl.
- Heat oil in same pan over MEDIUM heat. Add onions, carrots and garlic; cook 3-4 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in wine; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to MEDIUM; cook 5 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half.
- Add sausage, tomatoes, tomato paste, salt and pepper; stir. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to MEDIUM-LOW; cover. Simmer 1 hour or until thickened, stirring occasionally and uncovering after 45 minutes.
- Stir in cream and sugar. Return to a simmer; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in basil.
- Serve over pasta. Garnish with additional basil, if desired.