A delicious Mexican green salsa made with roasted tomatillos, chile peppers, lime juice, cilantro, and onion.
1-1/2 lbs tomatillos
1/2 cup chopped white onion
2 cloves (or more) garlic (optional)
1/2 cup cilantro leaves
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 jalapeño peppers, stemmed, seeded and chopped (whole for more heat)
Salt to taste
- Remove papery husks from tomatillos and rinse well.
- Cut the tomatillos in half and place cut side down on a foil-lined baking sheet. Add a few garlic cloves in their skin (if using) Place under a broiler for about 5-7 minutes to lightly blacken the skins of the tomatillos.
- Place the cooked tomatillos, lime juice, onions, garlic (if using), cilantro, chili peppers in a blender or food processor and pulse until all ingredients are finely chopped and mixed.
- Season to taste with salt. Cool in refrigerator.
- Serve with chips or as a salsa accompaniment to Mexican dishes.
Leave a Reply