This is a great option when you want a healthier side dish. If you’re one that truly misses your rice, this is perfect if you pair with grill meats so you can enjoy the flavors together.
1 medium head (about 24 oz) cauliflower, rinsed
1 Tbsp sesame oil
2 egg whites
1 large egg
Pinch of salt
1/2 small onion, finely diced
1/2 cup frozen peas and carrots
2 garlic cloves, minced
5 scallions, diced, whites and greens separated
3 Tbsp soy sauce, or more to taste
- Remove the core and let the cauliflower dry completely.
- Coarsely chop into florets, then place half of the cauliflower in a food processor and pulse until the cauliflower is small and has the texture of rice or couscous – don’t over process or it will get mushy. Set aside and repeat with the remaining cauliflower.
- Combine egg and egg whites in a small bowl and beat with a fork. Season with salt.
- Heat a large sauté pan or wok over medium heat and spray with oil.
- Add the eggs and cook, turning a few times until set; set aside.
- Add the sesame oil and sauté onions, scallion whites, peas and carrots and garlic about 3 to 4 minutes, or until soft.Raise the heat to medium-high.
- Add the cauliflower “rice” to the sauté pan along with soy sauce. Mix, cover and cook approximately 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until the cauliflower is slightly crispy on the outside but tender on the inside.
- Add the egg then remove from heat and mix in scallion greens.
4 servings (1-1/3 cup serving size)