1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup onion, diced
4+ cloves garlic, crushed
1 cup carrots, diced
1/2 cup celery, diced
1-1/2 lbs. ground round
1/2 cup sherry or red wine
14.5 oz petite diced tomatoes
6 oz tomato paste
6 oz fresh mushrooms, chopped, pre-cooked
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
8 oz macaroni, cooked
10 oz pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed & drained
1/4 c. bread crumbs
1 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 325˚F.
- Sauté onion, garlic, carrots and celery in oil for 5 minutes.
- Add meat; cook and stir until lightly browned.
- Add sherry, tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- Add macaroni and spinach; mix well.
- Place in 2-3 quart casserole. Top with bread crumbs and cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes or until bubbly and browned.
- Serve sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.
Unknown where I found the original recipe, but nearly the same one is on Cooks.com.
- add 8 oz tomato sauce
- seasoned diced tomatoes
- mix spinach in 5-10 min before adding macaroni
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup Parmesan mixed with breadcrumbs for top (no Cheddar)