6 cups chicken broth
2 chicken breast halves (boneless, cooked and shredded)
6-oz pkg long grain and wild rice blend, quick cooking version (Uncle Ben’s)
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1 cup carrot, diced
1 cup celery, diced
1 cup onion, diced
1 cup mushrooms, chopped (optional)
3 cups half and half
- Open rice, pull out seasoning packet and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine pepper and flour. Set aside.
- In a large pot over medium heat, combine broth and chicken. Bring to a boil, then stir in rice. Cover and remove from heat.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add carrots, celery and onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Stir in contents of seasoning packet and mushrooms if using, and continue cooking vegetables until softened, about 5 minutes more. Add seasoned flour gradually while constantly stirring, to form a roux. Sauté roux for 3-4 minutes to cook out raw flour taste.
- Stir in cream, a little at a time, until fully incorporated and smooth. Cook until thickened, 5 minutes.
- Stir cream mixture into broth and rice. Cook over medium heat until heated through and rice is done, 15-20 minutes.
See Nutrition Facts at myfitnesspal