Surprisingly the bolognese sauce has a deep, rich flavor to it despite the shorter cooking time. The spicy turkey sausage was not too spicy as even my kids ate it. We will work on tweaking since we missed the golden cheese layer on the top, but in the end we decided this is one of the best lasagna recipes we’ve ever made!
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 cups chopped onions
1/2 cup diced carrot
1 Tbsp fennel seeds, crushed in spice mill or in mortar with pestle
1 lb spicy Italian turkey sausages, casings removed
3 large garlic cloves, pressed
1/2 cup dry white wine
5 cups crushed tomatoes with added puree (from two 28-ounce cans)
1 cup chopped fresh basil, divided
2 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano
15 oz whole-milk ricotta cheese
3 cups (packed) coarsely grated whole- milk mozzarella cheese (12 oz)
1-1/4 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
16, 6 1/2 x 3 1/4-inch no-boil lasagna noodles
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrot, and fennel seeds; sauté 5 minutes. Add sausage and garlic; sauté until sausage is cooked through, breaking into pieces, 8 to 10 minutes. Add wine; boil 1 minute. Add tomatoes, 1/2 cup basil, and oregano. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine ricotta, mozzarella, 1 cup Parmesan, and 1/2 cup basil in medium bowl; stir to blend. Season with pepper. DO AHEAD: Sauce and cheese mixture can be made 1 day ahead. Cover separately; chill.
- Place noodles in large bowl; cover with hot water. Soak until pliable, separating occasionally, about 30 minutes. Drain well.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spread 1 cup sauce over bottom of 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking dish. Cover with 4 noodles, arranging crosswise. Drop 1/4 of cheese mixture over by tablespoonfuls; spread out. Top with 1 cup sauce, then 4 noodles and 1/3 of remaining cheese mixture. Repeat 2 more times with 1 cup sauce, 4 noodles, and 1/2 of cheese mixture. Spread any remaining sauce over. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan.
- Bake lasagna uncovered until heated through and puffed, about 50 minutes. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes and serve.