A hearty pasta sauce with just enough depth of flavor.
1 lb Italian sausage
1 lb ground round
1 small onion, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
28 oz diced tomatoes
12 oz tomato paste
30 oz tomato sauce
1-2 cups water
3 tsp basil
1-1/2 Tbsp Penzey’s Pasta Sprinkle (or Italian Seasoning)
1 tsp dried parsley flakes
1-1/2 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1/4 cup red wine (a good Cabernet!)
1 lb thin spaghetti
- In large, heavy stockpot, brown Italian sausage, breaking up as you stir.
- Add onions and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until onions are softened.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce and 1 cup water.
- Add basil, parsley, brown sugar, salt, crushed red pepper, and black pepper.
- Stir well and barely bring to a boil.
- Stir in red wine.
- Simmer on low, stirring frequently for 1-1/2 to 2 hours. A longer simmer makes for a better sauce, just be careful not to let it burn! Add water to keep desired consistency.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- Spoon sauce over drained spaghetti noodles and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
10-14 servings (4 quarts)